Entrée or Appetizer
This creation is an absolutely stunning preparation for chicken thighs that is a bacon-wrapped spin on a winning recipe I developed over the years for cooking chicken in professional barbecue competitions. My Bacon-Wrapped Grilled Chicken Flank recipe requires a little effort, but meals that will wow your guests don’t come out of a red and white striped bucket.
Flavored with rub and finished with barbecue sauce, these amazing morsels of meat are perfect either as an appetizer or to load up on as a meal. Invite the family over and watch these disappear!
- 12 chicken thighs, bone-in
- 1 lb. sliced bacon
- Croix Valley Garlic Barbecue Booster or Damons Garlic Dust
- Croix Valley Sweet N Smokey Competition Barbecue Sauce
- Damons Garlic Dust
- ½ Cup Turbinado Sugar
- ½ Cup Granulated Garlic
- ¼ cup Kosher Salt
- ¼ cup Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 2 Tbsp. Granulated Onion
Another great recipe from Damon & Lu
- Prepare the chicken by removing and discarding the skins (or purchase skinless thighs, if available).
- Trim any excess fat from the meat and begin to shape the thigh by pulling the meat down toward the fattest part of the bone so that it is only attached by the base of the bone. Using a paring or boning knife may be helpful to scrape the meat away from the bone to create the desired shape.
- Using a pair of poultry shears, cut off the top joint of the bone if desired.
- Coat the meat in Barbecue Booster or Garlic Dust on all sides and shape the meat so that the bone sticks out the top.
- Wrap one piece of bacon around each thigh, tucking the ends of the bacon in to keep it in place.
- Place chicken on grill over indirect heat and cook for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165⁰ F.
- During the last 10 minutes of grilling, brush on your favorite barb ecue sauce and allow the sauce to set in the grill. A great method for this is to heat the BBQ sauce, place in a bowl or cup and dunk the chicken in the sauce by holding onto the bone as a handle. Drip off excess and place back on grill.